plural noun: millennials
‘a person reaching young adulthood in the early 21st century.’
Or even more specifically, if you were born between 1982 and 2002 you are ~ technically~ a ‘millenial’. It comes after ‘Baby boomers (who’s glad they weren’t included in that awful generation name?!) and Generation X, technically we’re also known as ‘Gen Y’ but doesn’t sound as good…
Millennial is seen as such a dirty word these days. We have an obscene rep for being lazy, unable to show loyalty to anyone or anything, having no future prospects and wanting all things ‘bad’ such as marijuana becoming legal. Yep, they nailed it right?!
Well, here’s 10 things about being part of the Millennial generation that are actually pretty damn good…
1. You don’t have to get married ASAP. Thank GOD the days of being married by 25 are over amirite? (See also: having kids young)
2. You can do absolutely everything online so don’t have to speak on the phone to anyone. Ever.
3. You can find a uni course or career route for pretty much any hobby or interest. None of this, doctor, lawyer or teacher? Everyone encourages you to dream – we’re a generation of dreamers.
4. We search for endless happiness. ‘Cos why the hell shouldn’t we? Not happy in a job, find a different one. Don’t want that ham sandwich for lunch? Google 50 lunch spots ’til you find the eggs beni you ~really~ want. Previous generations call it fickleness but you’d probably be bitter too if you’d stuck it out in the same job for 10 years ’cause society told you, you had to..
5. Being addicted to coffee is cool – (hallelujah) so long as you Instagram it; who doesn’t love a pretty latte shot?
6. We’re straight up entrepreneurs. Completely rejecting the 9-5’s. Who doesn’t have or want their own business these days? Most of us have the drive and ambition to do so. Go us.
7. The slang is cool. No I’m not talking about FOMO.
8. We’re one of the least discriminating and judgemental generations there is. Take note old people.
9. It’s completely acceptable to take photos of everything and anything. New socks? Snap ’em and ‘gram ’em.
10. Millennials are changing the world. Big statement, I know. But while most other generations think all we care about is getting the perfect IG shot *only true half the time* it turns out most of us are more tuned into the bigger issues than any other generation.
We’re innovators, tech lovers and dreamers; living in an era of change so I don’t know about you but personally I’m pretty happy to be classed as ‘a millennial’.
This outfit is pretty unlinkable – the absolute worst kind I know. But shop similar below!